Connect with us

CELEBRITIES

American Coco Gauff rises to career-high No. 2 in world tennis rankings

Published

on

American Coco Gauff continued her tennis ascent Monday, rising to a career-high No. 2 in the WTA Tour singles rankings. She trails only Iga Swiatek, who beat her in the French Open semifinals en route to the title.

“I don’t feel like my game is all the way developed yet,” Gauff told reporters last week in Paris. “I definitely don’t think I’m there yet.”

Gauff, 20, replaced Belarusian Aryna Sabalenka, who dropped to No. 3. Kazakhstan’s Elena Rybakina (No. 4), American Jessica Pegula (No. 5) and No. 6 Marketa Vondrousova of the Czech Republic held on to their rankings.

Italian Jasmine Paolini, who lost to Swiatek in the finale Saturday at Roland Garros, ranked No. 15 before the tournament. Her run resulted in a climb to No. 7. China’s Qinwen Zheng, Greece’s Maria Sakkari and Tunisian Ons Jabeur round out the Top 10. Sakkari dropped from No. 7 to No. 9. Jabeur moved from No. 9 to No. 10.

Gauff owns a 205-91 singles record, including a 30-9 mark this year. She claimed more than $2.5 million in prize money since the start of 2024.

She also teamed up with Katerina Siniakova of the Czech Republic to beat Paolini and fellow Italian Sara Errani on Sunday for the French Open doubles title. She is the No. 12 doubles player in the world. Belgium’s Elise Mertens tops those rankings.

With her first career Grand Slam doubles crown, Gauff became the youngest woman to win Grand Slam singles and doubles titles since Svetlana Kuznetsova (19) in 2005.

On the men’s side, Jannik Sinner became the first Italian man to claim the top spot in the ATP Tour singles rankings. Spaniard Carlos Alcaraz, who beat Sinner in a French Open men’s singles semifinal and won the tournament Sunday in Paris, climbed from No. 3 to No. 2.

Serbian Novak Djokovic, who withdrew from the French Open because of a knee injury, dropped from No. 1 to No. 3. German Alexander Zverev, who lost to Alcaraz in a tight men’s final at Roland Garros, remained the No. 4 player in the world. Russian Daniil Medvedev stayed at No. 5.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CELEBRITIES3 weeks ago

Good news from the royal family: Prince William shares a heartening update on Kate’s cancer, stating, “She will be by my side forever because…” Full story below👇

CELEBRITIES3 weeks ago

Taylor Swift in recent Interview REVEALS that She will ‘attend as many’ of Travis Kelce’s games as possible next season – after NFL star spent offseason supporting her Eras Tour ‘And there will be a SPECIAL announcement soon…’

CELEBRITIES3 weeks ago

Travis Kelce says, ‘I cherish my mother; she’s a great mother. She stood by me when my dad left us to be with another woman.’”

CELEBRITIES3 weeks ago

“Travis Kelce says he met Taylor Swift in a special way and can’t imagine losing her, stating, ‘She is precious to my heart.’”

CELEBRITIES3 weeks ago

My daughter Olympia was so happy the day she held her little baby brother. She was thrilled to become a sister.”

CELEBRITIES3 weeks ago

Kim Kardashian Criticized Taylor Swift for bringing Travis Kelce on stage, what a shameful Relationship.

CELEBRITIES3 weeks ago

16-Year-Old Simone Biles ‘Didn’t Think She Was Good Enough’, Now She’s Oldest American Gymnast to Enter Olympics After 72 Years

CELEBRITIES3 weeks ago

Recent news: Scan revealed my wife (Meghan Markle) pregnancy will be boy, our family keep growing, this can’t be possible without you my love, you are the best wife.

CELEBRITIES3 weeks ago

Taylor Swift Reacts and Praised Kylie Kelce on her Massive Effort at Annual Charity Event that Raised Record-Breaking Sum… and the Popstar also made a huge donation to support.. “You’re so amazing Kylie, I can’t wait to spend more time with you after.

CELEBRITIES3 weeks ago

NFL Reporter Michele Tafoya Blasts ESPN For Their “Disgusting” Call Involving Prince Harry

CELEBRITIES3 weeks ago

Taylor Swift Revealed how she Adjusted her Schedules in order to attend as many of Travis Kelce’s games as possible next season because NFL star spent offseason supporting her Eras Tour.

CELEBRITIES3 weeks ago

Prince Harry felt “HELPLESS” in the face of Meghan Markle’s criticism when Netflix CEO announced the possibility of losing another $100 million due to the Netflix project being canceled

Copyright © 2024 USAglobe24