American Coco Gauff rises to career-high No. 2 in world tennis rankings

American Coco Gauff continued her tennis ascent Monday, rising to a career-high No. 2 in the WTA Tour singles rankings. She trails only Iga Swiatek, who beat her in the French Open semifinals en route to the title.

“I don’t feel like my game is all the way developed yet,” Gauff told reporters last week in Paris. “I definitely don’t think I’m there yet.”

Gauff, 20, replaced Belarusian Aryna Sabalenka, who dropped to No. 3. Kazakhstan’s Elena Rybakina (No. 4), American Jessica Pegula (No. 5) and No. 6 Marketa Vondrousova of the Czech Republic held on to their rankings.

Italian Jasmine Paolini, who lost to Swiatek in the finale Saturday at Roland Garros, ranked No. 15 before the tournament. Her run resulted in a climb to No. 7. China’s Qinwen Zheng, Greece’s Maria Sakkari and Tunisian Ons Jabeur round out the Top 10. Sakkari dropped from No. 7 to No. 9. Jabeur moved from No. 9 to No. 10.

Gauff owns a 205-91 singles record, including a 30-9 mark this year. She claimed more than $2.5 million in prize money since the start of 2024.

She also teamed up with Katerina Siniakova of the Czech Republic to beat Paolini and fellow Italian Sara Errani on Sunday for the French Open doubles title. She is the No. 12 doubles player in the world. Belgium’s Elise Mertens tops those rankings.

With her first career Grand Slam doubles crown, Gauff became the youngest woman to win Grand Slam singles and doubles titles since Svetlana Kuznetsova (19) in 2005.

On the men’s side, Jannik Sinner became the first Italian man to claim the top spot in the ATP Tour singles rankings. Spaniard Carlos Alcaraz, who beat Sinner in a French Open men’s singles semifinal and won the tournament Sunday in Paris, climbed from No. 3 to No. 2.

Serbian Novak Djokovic, who withdrew from the French Open because of a knee injury, dropped from No. 1 to No. 3. German Alexander Zverev, who lost to Alcaraz in a tight men’s final at Roland Garros, remained the No. 4 player in the world. Russian Daniil Medvedev stayed at No. 5.